Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Intaglio

This year I took an Intaglio printmaking course. It was super intense. I spent so many hours in the studio etching and printing. It took all the energy I could muster. It took all my money and sleep too. haha But it was so worth it. I learned so much and got some good prints.
Intaglio a printmaking technique in which the image is cut into a surface, the incised line or area holds the ink. It is the direct opposite of a relief print, such as stamps. Normally, copper or zinc plates are used as a surface or plate, and the incisions are created by etching with acid, engraving, drypoint, aquatint or mezzotint.


These first three prints were practice for the first part of the semester. I hadn't done printmaking in a couple of years and I was really out of practice. These are small prints, about 5x7. I got everything figured out after these three and was ready to go a little bigger.




The process for this next print was something new to me. This was done with a photo etching process which uses UV light to etch film on a plate instead of using acid. It was so cool.


These next three prints are larger. I used aquatint, line etch and some sugar lift. 

(9x12)

(6x9)

(6x9)

No comments:

Post a Comment